Monday, September 7, 2009

Homemaker Monday

Over at 11th Heaven's Homemaker Monday the topic is To Live in the Present or to Look to the Future? I thought this sounded fun so here I go!

I am a firm believer in preparing for the future. If I don't I think I would fall apart! Now that doesn't mean I am prepared all the time (just ask my friends) or that I am Mrs. Organized. That all went out the door when I had two crazy kiddos! I have had to teach myself to become organized amongst the chaos and I am still trying to find my focus.

I used to worry about the future. I have gone through so many trials in my life that I didn't see coming. That completely knocked me off my feet flat on the ground- I guess that's why they call it a trial- not much of a trial if you are still standing! So I guess my subconscious thought if I just anticipated every bad thing that I could then I wouldn't be completely surprised. Now I know that logic just doesn't work but I have been living like that for almost my whole life. How exhausting! I have been slowly but surely, little by little, changing that stinkin thinkin and am trying to learn how to enjoy the present and know that what trials come my way in the future will be just what I need in this life.

My husband and I are trying to look towards the future so that our children will have a good, stable life. Now I'm not just talking money but that would be nice too! Education has always been important to me. I worked my tale feather off in school and struggled with health problems and just not understanding the classwork. I would ride the city bus every morning in high school and get to school before anyone else. I would ask my teachers questions, retake tests and study some more. I signed up for college classes in the summer when all of my high school friends were out on vacations with their parents. I paid for the classes myself and rode the city bus in the hot Phoenix sun to get myself to the classes. All that hard work paid off and I was Valedictorian when I graduated! That doesn't make me a martyr. It doesn't even mean I'm smart. It just means that education is important to me and I want my children to feel the same way.

So after some time off making babies and wiping their tooshies I am back in school and on my way to getting my nursing degree. My husband is going back too and we have seen so many blessings from our decision. We are still looking towards the future but in a new light. So - how about you? Present or future? To join in head on over to 11th Heaven's Homemaking Heaven!

2 comments:

  1. I think I do a little bit of each. The future gives me hope and the past gives me wisdom to move on.
    When I was in high school, I really didn't understand my college prep classes. I was at an all girls high school....yes run by nuns. My love was reading and writing, but I couldn't make sense of my math and science classes. Finally, my junior year, despite tutoring,etc. I was politely told to withdraw from chemistry. I wasn't able to get a counselor's approval for advanced math classes.
    I knew I wanted to be a special ed teacher and I didn't have to have the advanced math and science in order to get my degree. I have been teaching over 30 years and my struggles have made me more understanding when a student isn't getting something. I don't teach special ed any longer, but I think I am a better teacher because I understand what it is like to feel like you have no idea what is going onb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Sounds like you and your hubby are doing a great job to show your kids good role models. Good luck with the nursing school. I am more of a live in the present person right now, but I hope to looking more to the future so that I can relax. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment- keep 'em coming!

 
Restored 316 Designs
Clicky Web Analytics Blog Widget by LinkWithin