As much as I organize and reorganize my kitchen it never seems to stay in order. I have limited storage and it honestly can be just plain ugly. When my kitchen is a mess then I seldom want to cook. That means my family suffers and I hate that they don't always get a nutritious meal that we can sit down to.
Well things are starting to change! The Canned Food Alliance’s At-Home Economics campaign encourages families to start making more meals at home together as a family. At Mealtime.org there a number of tips and checklists to help you get your kitchen more organized if you are looking to have more homemade meals. Let's face it, it's hard with every one's schedules to even think of making dinner let alone doing it. If you can keep a list of meals on hand along with convenient ingredients ( no crazy things that you have to buy at some specialty shop :) then you might be more motivated to start cooking!
I was so excited to have the opportunity to do my own Pantry Makeover Challenge. I received a Pantry Gift Basket that included a $100 GC to my grocery store. I used it to purchase things for my kitchen and pantry that I knew would help me to want to be in the kitchen. Here is what my pantry looked before the challenge (ok I may have tidied it up a little so you don't see how super bad it was!):
I used my Gift Card at Walmart and was able to get so many things that I needed. I got more dish rags since I always am cleaning up spills as I cook, some pantry shelves to double my space, a salad spinner to encourage me to serve more salad, an apple slicer to serve more apples as a snack to my boys while I am making dinner, a container to hold all of my recipes that I tear out of magazines, and lots of canned foods to have on hand so I don't have excuses for not having an ingredient on hand. I love all the new room I have in my pantry and organizing it gave me the bug to organize other areas in my kitchen.
So here is the really fun part- one winner will receive a $250 GC of their own to get their kitchen organized! I know- I wish I could enter! So what are you waiting for? To enter to in please visit Mealtime.org and tell me a tip you learned while on their site. They have some really helpful ones!
Many thanks to the Canned Food Alliance for this opportunity!
For additional entries please leave a separate comment for each of the following:
If you are an email subscriber
If you are a feedburner subscriber
If you are a follower
If you have my button
If you follow me on twitter
If you post this on twitter
If you have my button
If you tweet this and leave me the link
If you post this and leave me the link
Enter to win a GE Appliance daily and leave a comment each timeIf you are an email subscriber
If you are a feedburner subscriber
If you are a follower
If you have my button
If you follow me on twitter
If you post this on twitter
If you have my button
If you tweet this and leave me the link
If you post this and leave me the link
Giveaway ends Oct. 8th at 11:59pm Open to all!
I learned that canned food IS actually good for you. That there are usually no preservatives in them...and that canned tomatoes are higher in lycopene than fresh ones! I did not know that!
ReplyDelete:o)
pippirose59 at gmail dot com
I subscribe to your blog via Google Reader.
ReplyDeletepippirose59 at gmail dot com
Keep the pantry stocked so you have ingredients you need at all times.
ReplyDeleteGigglesandlollipops at gmail dot com
email subscriber at yzgirl4 at verizon dot net
ReplyDeleteFeed subscriber...thanks~
ReplyDeleteFollowing your blog!
ReplyDeleteIt seems like a no brainer but I am not very good at it: Stock up in advance so you can have ingredients ready and available at any time.
ReplyDeleteI have your button on my blog!
ReplyDeleteFollowing on twitter flyinggiggles
ReplyDeleteFeed subscriber
ReplyDeleteI learned that you can crack the code on your food cans by visiting the "Reading Can Codes" page- I found out how to read codes(dates) on canned food!
ReplyDeleteI am an email subscriber.
ReplyDeletetreneebarker(at)hotmail(dot)com
I am a follower - Tina Barker
ReplyDeleteI follow you on Twitter - warp65
ReplyDeletetweet: http://twitter.com/warp65/status/4564721313
ReplyDeletefeedburner subscriber
ReplyDeleteI love the canned fruit tip for a healthy snack! mix the fruit with yogurt and freeze for a yummy cold fruit treat!
ReplyDeleteljawtood at gmail dot com
email subscriber
ReplyDeleteljatwood at gmail dot com
follow via google reader
ReplyDeleteljatwood at gmail dot com
follow on twitter (ljatwood)
ReplyDeleteljatwood at gmail dot com
tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/ljatwood/status/4564832590
ljatwood at gmail dot com
I learned that I should stock the pantry in advance so I have things on hand for spontaneous cooking!
ReplyDeleteannashopper at gmail dot com
I'm an email subscriber.
ReplyDeleteannashopper at gmail dot com
I'm a follower.
ReplyDeleteannashopper at gmail dot com
I have your button.
ReplyDeleteannashopper at gmail dot com
I follow on twitter. @slavetosave
ReplyDeleteannashopper at gmail dot com
I learned that organizing the kitchen is the first step and that the foods you use most often should be at eye level.
ReplyDeleteI am an email subscriber.
ReplyDeleteFeed subscriber.
ReplyDeleteI am following your blog.
ReplyDeleteFollowing on twitter.
ReplyDeleteTweet:
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/Babasfarmlife/status/4565327393
I have your button
ReplyDeletehttp://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/
Tweeted Here:
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/Babasfarmlife/status/4565327393
Posted here:
ReplyDeletehttp://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/2009/10/cool-giveaways.html
I learned that for a Southwest flair you can season canned black beans with canned tomatoes and canned chilies with cumin and lime juice.
ReplyDeleteBlog follower.
ReplyDeleteI added your button to my sidebar.
ReplyDeletehttp://grand-giveaways.blogspot.com
I blogged about this:
ReplyDeletehttp://grand-giveaways.blogspot.com/2009/10/pantry-makeover-challenge-250-gift-card.html
I liked their article on Teaching Kids and Family About Nutrition!
ReplyDeletegarlandofroses@gmail.com
Email subscriber
ReplyDeletegarlandofroses@gmail.com
A couple good tips for getting kids to try new foods is "sneaking in" vegetables. Add them into pasta sauces, soups and summer salads.Also cutting foods into cute shapes and being creative can help too.
ReplyDeletecyclona66(at)aol(dot)com
main entry: I have to say that I did not know you could freeze can fruits then eat them which that was a tip the Mealtime.org told about. It suggest to do that for a fruit Sorbet and the recipe for the Gingered Pear-Peach Sorbet sounded wonderful. I love mandarin can oranges and it suggest any fruit in a can so I will be trying that for sure. You after pantry looks great too. I noticed as fall nears I want soups more and then worry more about having can goods on hand but really should keep more all the time so we do cook more and eat out less. I love crock pot soups and make bread bowls then use the soup in those, its yummy. This is a great helpful giveaway & I would use it on can goods to make any type mexican soups with because I love mexican foods and we eat out for mexican way to much when I could just as easily make more mexican dishes and eat at home.So thank you.
ReplyDeletesewitupjulie@gmail.com
I am an email subscriber
ReplyDeletesewitupjulie@gmail.com
I am a follower on google friends connect
ReplyDeletesewitupjulie@gmail.com
I follow you on twitter as itsallnew2me
ReplyDeletesewitupjulie@gmail.com
Ahahaha, they have some AWESOME Halloween recipes that I copied down, like the Eyeball Sub and the Chopped Bug and Beetle Juice. My kids will love these!
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
I'm an email subscriber!
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
I subscribe to your feed
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
Good tip for picky eaters, sneak veggies in to pasta sauces, soups and salads, they have a nice Pantry Checklist for quick recipes that I printed out.
ReplyDeleteI follow (M.Sands)
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
email subscriber
ReplyDeletefeed subscriber
ReplyDeletefollowing in twitter as karened409
ReplyDeletetweeted http://twitter.com/karenmed409/status/4568699786
ReplyDeleteTwitter follower (SaywardBC)
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
Tweeted: http://twitter.com/SaywardBC/status/4568800740
ReplyDeletemelaniesands[at]yahoo[dot]ca
In the Meats and Beans section of the MyPyramid for Kids the tip is to add canned beans, turkey, chicken and meat to macaroni and cheese, chili, burritos, tacos, pizza or their favorite pasta dishes. I never would have thought of this. Not that my son doesn't eat enough meat or beans...I just never would have thought to add beans or the meat to macaroni and cheese or pasta. But now that I think about it...it's a really great idea! Thanks for the chance! bekki1820cb@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI subscribe via email using bekki1820cb@yahoo.com to do so.
ReplyDeleteI am a follower! bekki1820cb@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteI am a feedburner subscriber! bekki1820cb@gmail.com
ReplyDeleteTHis is a tip I already follow: keep the pantry stocked so you always have ingredients available. I always have my pantry stocked and have reay for anything.
ReplyDeletetweeted http://twitter.com/carogonza/status/4570181039
ReplyDeleteemail subscriber
ReplyDeletefollow on twitter: cargonza
ReplyDeleteFor a Southwest flair, season canned black beans, canned tomatoes and canned chilies with cumin and lime juice.
ReplyDeleteI follow you on twitter: dotcomkari
ReplyDeleteproudly display your button on my site:
ReplyDeletedotcomkari.blogspot.com
I always love a new recipe site! I leaned this tip!
ReplyDeleteFor a refreshing, healthy snack recipe for kids, take an undrained 16-ounce can of fruit in heavy syrup and an 8-ounce container of fruit-flavored low-fat yogurt and blend until smooth in a food processor. Pour into paper cups or molds. Once partially frozen, insert sticks into each and freeze for eight hours.
Saradavis1 at gmail
I follow your blog! :) dotcomkari@yahoo.com
ReplyDeletesubscribe rss
ReplyDeletefollower
ReplyDeletefollow on twitter saramama
ReplyDeleteTweet Tweet:
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/dotcomkari/statuses/4571668000
tweet http://twitter.com/SaraMama/status/4571674117
ReplyDeleteI subscribed to the 2 newsletters that were available. I really like the idea of freezing canned fruit to make sorbets. I love pineapple and the sorbet I tried was sooooooooooo expensive. Now I can try to make my own refreshing pineapple sorbet. thanks
ReplyDeleteTip: Stock up in advance so you can have ingredients ready and available
ReplyDeleteI like their Perfect Pantry Checklists for Quick, Easy Recipes, very handful!
ReplyDeleteFollow you on twitter:@SereneMoments
ReplyDeleteEmail subscriber.
ReplyDeletefeedburner subscriber
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower
ReplyDeletefollower
ReplyDelete@tcarolinep Twitter follower.
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/tcarolinep/status/4572914175 tweet
ReplyDeletehttp://tcarolinep.blogspot.com/2009/10/giveaway-forever-and-always.html blogged.
ReplyDeleteI learned that you should stock up in advance in case you need something
ReplyDeletebabyhazelton@gmail.com
email subscriber
ReplyDeletebabyhazelton@gmail.com
follow blog
ReplyDeletebabyhazelton@gmail.com
button in sidebar
ReplyDeletebabyhazelton@gmail.com
follow on twitter as natalia315
ReplyDeletebabyhazelton@gmail.com
MyPyramid- Studies show that canned foods are comparable in nutrition to their cooked fresh and frozen counterparts! Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeleteI subscribe :)
ReplyDeleteI follow. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI like the tip about using labels. This would definitely help my husband put hings where I'd like them which in turn would save me time and aggravation. Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeletesweetascandy579 at yahoo dot com
That web site is great. I learned that canned & frozen veges are just as nutrients.
ReplyDeleteJolynn_Reads@ yahoo.com
I subscribe by email
ReplyDeleteJolynn_Reads atyahoo .com
I follow you and tweeted this giveaway
ReplyDeleteitsallnew2me Enter to win a $250 GC to your grocery store at http://blessedbarnharts.blo...
sewitupjulie@gmail.com
tip - Add adventure to family meals. Take field trips to the supermarket. Let your kids pick some new foods to try - in the canned food aisle, from the produce department and other parts of the store.
ReplyDeletean email subscriber
ReplyDeleteI love their time saving recipe tips especially the For an easy, low-fat flavorful dip, make your own hummus. Drain, rinse and purée a can of chickpeas in a food processor with 3 tablespoons each of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Add crushed garlic to taste. Serve with fresh vegetables or bite-sized slices of pita bread. I saved their site to my favorites too.
ReplyDeletetamben7996(at)aol(dot)com
I am an email subscriber.
ReplyDeletetamben7996(at)aol(dot)com
I am a feedburner subscriber.
ReplyDeletetamben7996(at)aol(dot)com
feedburner subscriber
ReplyDeletea follower
ReplyDeletefollow u on twitter
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/barbarasbeat/status/4590795855
ReplyDeletetweet
I have your button
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/barbarasbeat/status/4590847162
ReplyDeletetweet
A study conducted by the University of California - Davis found that fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables each contain important nutrients and contribute to a healthy diet, and exclusively recommending one form of fruits or vegetables over another ignores the benefits that each form provides. Results of the study also showed that by the time food is consumed, fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables may be nutritionally similar.
ReplyDeleteroxxyroller(at)hotmail(dot)com
Canadian Contests, Freebies, Coupons, Deals, Games and Chat - join us at http://forum.coolcanucks.ca/
It seems like a basic tip but it's one I need to heed: stock the pantry!
ReplyDeletemelacan at hotmail dot com
I tweeted!!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/coolcanucks/status/4591270056
roxxyroller(at)hotmail(dot)com
Canadian Contests, Freebies, Coupons, Deals, Games and Chat - join us at http://forum.coolcanucks.ca/
I own CoolCanucks.ca, which is a Canadian Contest and Freebie site. This giveaway is shared here:
ReplyDeletehttp://forum.coolcanucks.ca/25004-forever-always-mealtime-org-250-gc-giveaway-oct8-canada
roxxyroller(at)hotmail(dot)com
Canadian Contests, Freebies, Coupons, Deals, Games and Chat - join us at http://forum.coolcanucks.ca/
$250 GC giveaway for a pantry makeover
ReplyDeletehttp://barbarasbeat.blogspot.com/2009/10/250-gc-giveaway-for-pantry-makeover.html
blogged
I learned that canned food IS actually good for you. That there are usually no preservatives in them.
ReplyDeletejosiefiorda@yahoo.ca
I follow on google
ReplyDeletejosiefiorda@yahoo.ca
Add zing to mashed potatoes by puréeing drained, canned white potatoes with drained, canned yams. Mix in butter, salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg, to season.
ReplyDeleteSounds yummy!
I am following on Twitter. (simplyandreah)
ReplyDeleteI was really surprised to learn that canned food is good for you.
ReplyDeleteplb8156@aol.com
Your button is on my sidebar.
ReplyDeletewww.moodymamasays.com
Tweet!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/simplyandreah/status/4593715600
I follow on twitter
ReplyDeleteplb8156@aol.com
I tweeted :)
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4593792577
plb8156@aol.com
I found a recipe for Pesto with "Canned" Spinach! Who knew?! ;-)
ReplyDeletet42vek20 at gmail dot com
I follow on Twitter.
ReplyDeleteI subscribed with Google Feedburner to your blog.
ReplyDeleteI follow you on Google Connect.
ReplyDeletet42vek20 I tweeted here.
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/t42vek20/status/4594069849
Thanks!
t42vek20 dot blogspot dot com
ReplyDeleteI have your button.
I have your button and I followed. phatsheep at gmail dot com
ReplyDeletetweeted again :)
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4601564999
I like their Did you know canned food facts..I learned that Canned Food is actually Good for Your Health. Almost all canned vegetables and canned fruits are fat free!
ReplyDeleteluvtosave at gmail.com
feed subscriber
ReplyDeleteluvtosave at gmail.com
follower as ethel
ReplyDeleteluvtosave at gmail.com
twitter follower as luv_to_save
ReplyDeleteluvtosave at gmail.com
tweet http://twitter.com/Luv_to_Save/status/4603278938
ReplyDeleteluvtosave at gmail.com
I learned how to make homemade hummus! - For an easy, low-fat flavorful dip, make your own hummus. Drain, rinse and purée a can of chickpeas in a food processor with 3 tablespoons each of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Add crushed garlic to taste. Serve with fresh vegetables or bite-sized slices of pita bread.
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
I am an email subscriber!
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
I subscribe via your feed!
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
I follow your blog!
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
Following on twitter - @ktkatherine
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
Tweet! http://twitter.com/ktkatherine/status/4603711780
ReplyDeletekkondek at gmail.com
The tip about food that don't have expiration dates on them to use markers or labels to let you know when you bought them.
ReplyDeleteaunteegem@yahoo.com
email subscriber
ReplyDeleteaunteegem@yahoo.com
I learned to always keep the pantry stocked with lots of canned foods. That way I'll always have something handy when I need to make a fast and easy meal.
ReplyDeleteI learned that in many instances, nutritionally speaking, canned food is comparable to its cooked fresh and frozen counterparts.
ReplyDeleteI am following you on Twitter as njhhb.
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/t42vek20/status/4612053759
ReplyDeleteHere's my tweet. Thanks.
I learned a great tip to get kids to try new foods...take them with you grocery shopping and let them pick out new foods to try from the canned aisle! They will be more likely to try and like it if they get to choose it!
ReplyDeleterachel_demille@yahoo.com
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI subscribe by e-mail
ReplyDeleterachel_demille@yahoo.com
I subscribe by feedburner
ReplyDeleterachel_demille@yahoo.com
I follow your blog!
ReplyDeleterachel_demille@yahoo.com
I follow you on Twitter (tobinsmommy08)
ReplyDeleterachel_demille@yahoo.com
I like that you can "read" your canned goods. =) Very interesting!
ReplyDeleteI learned "To add your favorite fruit flavor to a punch or iced tea, pour leftover canned fruit syrup into ice trays and freeze overnight." Yum, good idea!
ReplyDeleteI'm an email subscriber with the address below.
ReplyDeletexpbloch at juno dot com
I have your button!
ReplyDeletexpsundell at gmail dot com
I follow on Twitter (@thxmailcarrier).
ReplyDeletexpsundell at gmail dot com
Tweet! http://twitter.com/thxmailcarrier/status/4617801794
ReplyDeletexpsundell at gmail dot com
I like this tip: Get kids to try new foods by cutting them into fun shapes or by filling the plate with brightly colored foods. Creativity helps catch kids' eyes and may encourage them to try new, nutritious foods
ReplyDeletelaceylovespink at yahoo dot com
Tweeted you here http://twitter.com/laceylovespink/statuses/4617942272
ReplyDeletelaceylovespink at yahoo dot com
following your blog now :)
ReplyDeleteusername: laceylovespink
laceylovespink at yahoo dot com
I subscribe via email
ReplyDeleteVal
lastnerve2000@gmail.com
I follow your blog
ReplyDeleteVal
lastnerve2000@gmail.com
I follow you on twitter
ReplyDeleteI am lastnerve2000
Val
lastnerve2000@gmail.com
I tweeted here http://twitter.com/lastnerve2000/status/4624722178
ReplyDeleteVal
lastnerve2000@gmail.com
daily tweet :)
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4627464408
plb8156@aol.com
the canned fruit tip...mix with Yogurt & freeze....healthy & yummy for us & the kids birdson@roadrunner.com
ReplyDeleteemail subscriber birdson@roadrunner.com
ReplyDeletefollow U on Google Friend Connect birdson@roadrunner.com
ReplyDeleteI learned that beans are a good source of potassium.
ReplyDeleteikkinlala AT yahoo DOT ca
http://twitter.com/t42vek20/status/4636450941
ReplyDeleteI tweeted here. Thanks! Oct 5
I learned to keep your pantry full an that you can do some pretty awesome stuff with can fruit.
ReplyDeleteI subscribe to you feedburner.
ReplyDeleteI'm a follower.
ReplyDeleteI've got your button.
ReplyDeleteI am an email subscriber.
ReplyDeleteI am a TWITTER follower. 1awesomekid
ReplyDeleteI posted on twitter.
ReplyDelete1awesomekid GO here to enter to win a $250 GC to your grocery store! Pantry Challenge Makeover Giveaway http://bit.ly/10V285
less than 20 seconds ago from TweetDeck
Tweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4653077965
plb8156@aol.com
I found a 10-minute recipe for Black Bean and Avocado salad - yum!
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/t42vek20/status/4663109331
ReplyDeleteI tweeted here. Thanks! 10-06
These are the canned vegetables you should have in your pantry at ALL times:
ReplyDelete* Whole tomatoes
* Tomato sauce
* Tomato paste
* Sweet potatoes
* Artichoke hearts
* Chilies
* Flavored, diced canned tomatoes (i.e., basil and oregano)
* Corn
* Mushrooms
* Peas
* Green Beans
* Pumpkin
* Tomato or vegetable juice
CherryBlossomsDesign at hotmail
I am an email subscriber: kileydianesmith AT gmail
ReplyDeleteCherryBlossomsDesign at hotmail
I have your button here:
ReplyDeletepeonieblossoms.blogspot
CherryBlossomsDesign at hotmail
I follow you on Twitter @CherryBlossBaby
ReplyDeleteCherryBlossomsDesign at hotmail
I twittered here:
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/CherryBlossBaby/status/4664182662
CherryBlossomsDesign at hotmail
I found a recipe for Choco Cherry smoothie that I am going to have to try; it sounds delicious. I never even thought of making smoothies with canned fruit. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI love both Mealtime.org and your sight.. I try to keep things that can be turned into a quick meal on hand..I have tried many new and wonderful recipes from mealtime.. I think that siting down to eat together away from the rush and bustle of a busy world is very good for families.. especially for children.. it gives them time to share with the family.. and time to just be together.. There are so many wonderful tips and recipes there that it would be hard for me to choose just one.. I guess keeping a well stocked pantry would be my favorite one though.. I try to keep things that could be made into a great meal quickly if needed.. for instance.. canned mixed vegetable- stewed tomatoes- packaged gravy mix can be turned into a quick pot of vegetable soup in just a few minutes..with or without meat.. left over meat from the fridge or quickly browning small amount of hamburger will add meat if you desire it..I like mine thick and with a hunk of cornbread I have a meal.. My husband just built me a new pantry.. I sure could use some stuff to fill it.. Have a great day!
ReplyDeletePatsy
I am also a follower of your sight..
ReplyDeletedaily tweet :)
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4684126045
plb8156@aol.com
http://twitter.com/t42vek20/status/4687077075
ReplyDeleteI tweeted here. Thanks! 10/07
I like the tip for making your own hummus!
ReplyDeleteFollower!
ReplyDeleteI have your button!
ReplyDeleteTwitter follower- @joannagiveaway
ReplyDeleteTweet- http://twitter.com/joannagiveaway/status/4697403618
ReplyDeletetweeted
ReplyDeletehttp://twitter.com/plb8156/status/4706795064
plb8156@aol.com
i learned to freeze can fruit for a frozen treat
ReplyDeletethanks
flower_child_23(at)hotmail(dot)com