Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ideas Anyone?


I have been so frustrated lately. I try to go grocery shopping for healthy food- some organic but mostly just food that is not processed- and try to save money at the same time. But alas, I can't seem to get my grocery bill down. I use coupons when I can and I just discovered the wonders of printing coupons online, but I still can't get it down. We do almost all of our grocery shopping at the Super Walmart which is an hour away and so selection can be limited. I keep coming across these blogs where the women post all the free things they receive from CVS or Walgreens (we don't have either) and how they get $150 worth of groceries for $13. Well I am so happy for them but how does that help me? There is no co-op here, no coupons in the newspapers and lots of stuff on sale that I just don't buy for my family. I'm not that picky but I don't buy lots of fake stuff or anything with high frucotse corn syrup ( even though those new commercials out there are trying to make it seem ok- I still don't think so!) Does anyone have any tips? How do you save money on groceries?

7 comments:

  1. Don't I hear you! I stumbled upon you blog and smiled when I read this entry. I think I've written like 2 of the same! You know, I think you just do the best you can. I have friends who do the CVS/Walgreens thing and others who spend hours on couponmom.com, but I just don't have the dedication or want-to to do that. I plan a menu, at least a group of meals for one or two weeks, I am trying to do more breakfast baking to freeze up and following store circulars. And I pick and choose what things I always buy organic and which I can pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah! I'm not alone! thank you for the website, i signed up and I want to stop buying cereal and start making breakfast like you suggested- thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cooking fresh is best, but it's also not very convenient. If you remove the convenience factor and do more 'from scratch' cooking, it might help.

    Gardening helps a alot too. I only had to spend $4 to make salsa this year (but spaghetti sauce isn't all that economical - it's healthier but definitely more expensive to make your own)

    I've heard of people finding free canning supplies through craigslist. Our Walmart carries canning supplies in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have "coupon sense" in your state? I know they didn't have it in Florida, but they have it in AZ in many other states, i just don't know which. I know my sister did things like $150 worth of groceries for $15 with coupon sense(www.couponsense.com). look into that. good luck. this is not my forte so I'm not much help

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain. Coming from someone who literally can't eat anything processed, its hard to shop that way and save money. Sorry I don't have any tips to help you out... I am still trying to figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is so cute and I love the Twilight widget. I can't wait either!

    what grocery stores do you have around you? Kroger? Meijer? I see you have been on my site and you can see super coupon girl uses her coupon overages to buy fresh organic foods. I have lots of stores here and I still have issues with the grocery store and food. Not everyone is going to be able to save like those women. You know if you save some money on coupons you should feel good about doing that and know you are doing a good job.

    Another option might be for you to get coupons on the coupon clipper on my side bar. You can get coupons there. I did this a few weeks ago and was very happy. You can pick the coupons you know you will use for a small fee and you might be able to find coupons for the things you do buy so check it out and let me know if it works for you.

    www.savingmoney101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi- Thank you! I will def. check out that site.

    Paula- We have Albertson's, Dan's and Walmart but they are all spread out. That's a good idea about the coupon digger- I will look at that today- thank you for checking out my blog and commenting with your support!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment- keep 'em coming!

 
Restored 316 Designs
Clicky Web Analytics Blog Widget by LinkWithin